Sunday, November 04, 2007

Last Weekend and Culver City junk

Last Weekend me and some friends went to a sort of lame party, somewhere, I'm not really sure where I was just directed to it. The party itself wasn't bad: booze music etc etc. The worst was that people ended up either as slutty this or that (mainly a slutty version of something very not slutty, like a scientist, or a prison inmate), or the male version of a lame outfit: no costume whatsoever. A dozen or so guys strictly wore what they wore all day but included a silver mask. I went as Shawn of the Dead (again, I know I know), but the group I went with included, a bearded lady, another bearded lady (his wife) and a battered housewife complete with a bun in the oven. Anyway, the music included a lot of 90's dance music (Salt n Peppa, Young MC, you know the kind), some candy (milk duds!) and massive amounts of alcohol.

This weekend I ended up going to Lab 101's 3 year anniversary gallery opening. In the line up were: Anthony Lister who does dripping sketchy paintings of superhero comicbook characters, and I believe was also handcuffed and duct taped on the floor of the gallery dressed in a Captian America outfit










Kelsey Brookes, who does some paintings that look like people wearing masks with a lot of decoration and geometric shapes.








And Kill Pixie, who does paintings that were of Native American people and objects in shifting and unstable landscapes, as well as scultures of blue canoes that stuck out from the walls.





The show was alright, I felt a lot more comfortable being there than the first show opening I went to, there was some Tecate, some wine, and by 7:30 a bunch of people. I noticed with this show too, almost all of the work was sold, except the Kill Pixie paintings which I actually liked better than the Kelsey Brookes paintings that sold. Kill Pixie's had this nice resin gloss on the top of the paintings (which I really like for some reason) and the work seemed to have more going on in them, these strange narrative's with these weird characters. The show also attracted some local weirdo's, one woman that we saw at the Scion show that was putting chapstick on her forehead, and this other really awkward guy I found out at one time went to Long Beach State. We snuck out before they got attached to us "like gum on a shoe."


We also went to the Blum and Poe gallery breifly that had some interesting video art and gold paintings, it was pretty cool, but we wanted to hit up the other Culver City galleries, and the Giant Robot show in LA.


The other opening's in C C were boring so we headed up to Giant Robot show at the Japanese American History Museum in LA. We made it there with about a half hour to spare. There was a ton of people there, and there was even a line to get in to the exhibit. A bunch of artists had stuff in the show: APAK Gary Baseman David Choe Seonna Hong Sashie Masakatsu Saelee Oh Pryor Praczukowski Souther Salazar Eishi Takaoka Adrian Tomine

One of the most interesting was a large scale spraypaint mural with real ninja throwing stars in it and some other paintings on the opposite wall of very tiny paintings with very tiny painting brush strokes. I don't remember the names of who did what, but I swear next time I go to an opening I'll bring my camera. Anyway, the exhibition was fun, but it was tiny. I think the whole exhibition was maybe 2 medium sized rooms. With that many people we were expecting more...




1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written article.

3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home