Monday, October 22, 2007

BLK/MRKT opening

Last night I decided to go up to Culver City to check out some galleries. The BLK/MRKT gallery opening was ok, I got there kind of early so I didn't really know what to expect. I bumbled around for a little bit, but not knowing anyone at the opening I felt awkward so I left pretty quickly. The artwork was pretty good, semi-abstract backgrounds that become figures and shapes to create strange comic book like scenes. There was one with an angry dog attacking that I would have to say was my favorite. The artist was Dave Kinsey, here's some images I ripped off the web...





The weird thing about this show, other than a maniquin with a bag on it's head in the entrance, was that I got to the show about an hour into it and all but two of the paintings had red stickers. Unless there was a feeding frenzy of buyers as soon as they opened the doors, why have a gallery show with only two paintings for sale? It's like when bands re-release old albums with a couple of new tracks on them. Why not come out with a new album and bump the new tracks on to that? Or just leave them on the cutting room floor? Anyway, it was a cool space, I just wish I brought more people to talk to...I was getting weird looks. Maybe I was weird looking...



I went home and popped in two space horror classics: Alien and Event Horizon.
I had never seen Alien all the way through, and I was surprised that it was pretty consistant with the others in the series, despite the variety of directors at the helm. It's a plot everyone knows, ship comes across an abandoned planet, the spaceship gets busted, the crew runs into a alien species, and from then on the rest of the movie is a race against time to repair the ship and blow up the alien. It was still pretty good, even for being slightly dated. Although I do have to say this was on the one movie in the series that made the Alien pretty rubber-suit looking.


have to say though, those face-huggers still freak me out...





Good movie, although it does make me question why Ripley decided to save her cat instead of her friends, and why the alien at the end didn't just rip her head off instead of sleeping in the corner for a bit... Oh well, the alien flying out of the airlock and getting roasted on the jet engine was all worth it. Hilarious!

Event Horizon was eerily similar. Same busted ship, same abandoned setting, only this one is a ship that's gone to hell and back. Literally. It also makes you halucinate, or brings your nightmares to life. Something like that. The whole thing reminded me of a Hellraiser in Space, except it was better than the Hellraiser that was in space, aka Hellraiser:Bloodlines. This movie had that guy from Jurrasic Park tearing his eyballs out and kicking the crap out of Morpheus from the Matrix. Some of the effects were kind of cheesy like the scene that shows the previous crew eating each other, and speaking in Latin(?). I think I was just surprised by the unexpected gore of the movie. I just thought it was gonna be spooky, like Scooby Doo spooky, instead it was flesh tearing spooky, like Scooby Doo...in hell!





before , during and after taking a good look at hell... Oh, and he's not dead either, just super crazy...



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home