Wednesday, October 17, 2007

BLK/MRKT

So I thought I'd rant about art and movies in this blog.I'm going to the BLK/MRKT opening this weekend so maybe Saturday or Sunday I'll write about it. It should be a good show, well at least I heard the space is pretty good.
As for movies, I just watched this documentary called The Staircase Briefly, it's a compilation of eight 45 minute episodes from a Sundance channel series focusing on a man accused of killing his wife.
The film makers initially decided to focus on both sides of the case, the procecution and the defense, but unfortunately the procecution started to dodge meetings with the film crew and as a result they decided to focus more on the defense. To me this didn't seem fair, I felt bad for the guy accused at times, but all the way through I was convinced that the guy killed his wife. Watching the film though, I could tell the director really wanted the audience to believe he was innocent. Also, I was sort of tricked into thinking that this damn thing was only 1 dvd disc, so I got through with the last episode (roughly 3.5 hours of viewing time) on the first disc only to realize that there was another whole disc full of episodes.
It was pretty engaging and I was surprised at the ending, but some of me felt, If the film crew was not there would they be as confident as they are in winning this case? and sometimes I felt like there was some false encouragement coming from the defense. Kinda like playing a game with overly competitive people bitching about being the underdog the whole time and wondering why everyone isn't thinking the same way they are. For example, when it comes up that a friend of the defendant died the same way his wife did (falling down the stairs) the defense lawyer is appalled that someone might use that as evidence against his client. Is that really that shocking?
Anyway, it was interesting and I would recommend it, but don't expect it to be unbiased or a short movie, maybe just take it a couple episodes at a time. It will be addicting though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home