Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Scion

I went to a Scion gallery event in Culver City, a show called UMASS. Very well put together event, I must say. DJ spinnin stuff that went from Rage Against the Machine to DJ Shadow, some free fashion magazines (I think they were fashion mags?), and free booze (now I know this is fairly regular, but did you ever have the bartender come out to you in the gallery and take your order? Free of charge??). Of course this kind of hospitality brings out weirdos and homeless people, but still, nice digs. The art was alright, as it goes with most group shows I suppose. I a lot of found object stuff collaged together, along side some interesting photography of blue-collar environments in LA. Some of the photo's I liked, but the collaged stuff tended to read like nostagia, but like bad nostalgia, like VH-1 nostalgia. "Hey, remember cassette tapes? Weren't they awesome?!" Yes, they WERE. Whoopy-doo. Unless you are going to say something new, or relate this crap to the current times in some Orwellian-history's-repeating kind of revelation, let the 80's and early 90's stay where it is, in the garbage heap. I lived through the 80's and 90's...it wasn't that great. Oh, and the bulliten board of letters to the artist while in jail were interesting. I didn't read them all (or even all of one of them), mainly because I felt kinda creepy reading someone else's jail mail. Hey, that ryhmes!
Here's some sweet Scion stuff from my "shwag bag." A hat and tee plastered with Scion icons. It also contained a cd (from Ninja Tune, but surprisingly boring tracks), and a Scion magazine filled to the brim with car ads

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home